Monday, November 16, 2015

Music, music all the time

  Yesterday I played the piano for our ward choir's performance in ward conference. They did a great job. We have practice at our house every Sunday afternoon at 2:00pm. It's actually really nice to have so many people there singing. Our neighbors have even commented about the choir, and they enjoy hearing them. But the music that I have to play is a little beyond my abilities.
      I basically taught myself to play the piano. My Mom taught me formally for about a year, on and off. And then when I became 15, I really wanted to play more, so I struggled through some church songbooks. I started writing music at 15, and even perfomed a few of my songs at church. For my Highschool graduation I wrote a quartet arrangement of the National Anthem for 3 other friends and I to sing,  and I also wrote a duet specifically for our graduation and class theme.  In college I studied music theory, and loved it. I also sang in a jazz choir and a chamber choir...... So anyway, my piano skills are mediocre at best, but I still try to play when I'm asked.
     After the ward choir practice, the Young Women in our ward came over at 3:00pm to practice a song they're singing for church in December. I walked into that one two weeks ago on activity night at the church. I was there for a cubscout pack meeting, and it had already finished, when I heard the young women practicing something in the chapel. I wondered if they had a pianist, so I walked in with the intention to offer to play for their practice. Silly me. So that's how I got to play for the young women.
    After the young women came over, I started to work on recording practice tracks for the choir for a song we're working on. The choir director asked me to do it, and of course I said yes. (She can't sight read very well, otherwise she'd do it herself)
   And in other news; yesterday I was set apart as the Primary President in our new ward ....

No comments:

Post a Comment